Many years ago, a few single girlfriends and myself decided we needed to get serious about this finding ourselves a huuuusband deal. So, naturally…what better way to show your gettin’ down to business about something other than to make it an official mission, of course, which also meant giving it a name, too. We called it, “MISSION H” (for Mission-Husband and all things—“H”…and also ALL things cheesy!) Let me tell ya, we got really creative and cornballish with all the H-descriptions and declarations about this Hottie-Holy-Spirit-filled-Handsome-Helper-Heart-after-God-Holy-Hunk-of-a-Husband waiting for us at the end of this mission! I’m very happy to report that Mission-H was a HUGE success to almost all of our team members (who are now happily married to their H-MEN, I might add)…well, except one, that is. This chicita is still wearing her, “SOMEONE TO BRING HOME TO MAMA” tee (ok, not really) and moving confidently forward with MISSION-H!!
What better way to find success in a mission than to learn from those who’ve gone before you and gotten it right, RIGHT??
The Prophet Samuel was one such man. Like me, he too, was someone on a mission to find a King. He was sent by God specifically to the house of Jesse to anoint one of his sons to be the next one. Let’s look at this story in 1 Samuel 16.
“When they arrived, Samuel saw Eliab and thought, “Surely the Lord’s anointed stands here before the Lord.” 7 But the Lord said to Samuel, “Do not consider his appearance or his height, for I have rejected him. The Lord does not look at the things people look at. People look at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.” 8 Then Jesse called Abinadab and had him pass in front of Samuel. But Samuel said, “The Lord has not chosen this one either.” 9 Jesse then had Shammah pass by, but Samuel said, “Nor has the Lord chosen this one.” 10 Jesse had seven of his sons pass before Samuel, but Samuel said to him, “The Lord has not chosen these.” 11 So he asked Jesse, “Are these all the sons you have?” “There is still the youngest,” Jesse answered. “He is tending the sheep.” Samuel said, “Send for him; we will not sit down until he arrives.” 12 So he sent for him and had him brought in. He was glowing with health and had a fine appearance and handsome features. Then the Lord said, “Rise and anoint him; this is the one.” 13 So Samuel took the horn of oil and anointed him in the presence of his brothers, and from that day on the Spirit of the Lord came powerfully upon David. Samuel then went to Ramah.” (1 Samuel 16: 6-13)
Some questions/thoughts for us single folk to think about:
- Have you been so focused on looking for an “Eliab” when maybe God has hidden away a “David” for you? (ME: GUILTY.)
- Have YOU been living like an Eliab focused only on your natural/outward appearance and not the matters & character of YOUR heart?
- Are you open to allowing God to give you eyes of Samuel to see potentials you may not have considered? (Remember…David was FIIIINE AND also had the heart to make him the package-deal, he just wasn’t the natural-superman-type, like Eliab)
- Who’s “house” are you visiting, so to speak, to find this one?
- What qualities are you looking for in your Mr./Mrs. Right?
- Do your eyes just see the outward appearance with disregard of the lifestyle choices & heart of a potential spouse?
- David was busy serving his father along with being a faithful worker, as well. Is the man/woman you’re interested in responsible, humble, a servant and most importantly–has a heart for God? And, what about YOU?
I want to encourage all you singles out there, like me to continue to pursue God with ALL your heart. Be faithful to serve Him and His house in the often times-hidden and humble places. And keep those Samuel-eyes sharpened to be able to spot the Davids (or Davida’s for you fellas—hehe!) And, hey, ya never know…they may just be right around you and you MAYBE just possibly haven’t SEEN them yet? (wink, wink) Because, at just the RIGHT time, the appointed time…David was called out of the hidden places and anointed as King. Remember–God’s timing truly IS the best. He has NOT forgotten you! Stay focused on Him. Let the eyes of your heart be opened! Delight your heart FULLY IN Him and the time WILL arrive for your King to come! (And, a BIG thanks to Samuel for helping us out with a little advice on navigating some on the wild adventures of a single’s life! ; )