“You don’t write because you want to say something, you write because you’ve got something to say.”
-F. Scott Fitzgerald-
I write today with a sense of fire inside of me that needs to come out. Coming from a most sincere motivation of my deepest love for mankind, I am asking you to continue to read, and to be open to hearing and receiving…
What is the purpose of my life? Why was I created? What am doing in this life? Do we just live, suffer through life, and then die? Death? How can someone have life in them, and then in a moment breathe their last breath and gone? What happens then? If I wasn’t created to play volleyball, then what on earth am supposed to do in this life?
These were the questions that flooded my mind as a freshman volleyball player at the University of Kansas many years ago after having experiencing my first injury and needing to red-shirt my first season. I was devastated, to say the least.
Why so dramatic? Well, up to this point, I had lived for nothing else than volleyball. I came out of the womb with the doc telling my mother, “It’s a girl” adding to her soon to be brood of five, and with my volleyball coach of a father wondering how soon can he get me out on the court ; ) From a young age, I began to excel at this sport, and at a young age, I also began to form my identity based on my performance of this sport. My god, and my life purpose became a road of excelling in volleyball-first to Kansas University, then to the Olympics, and then a long-career playing on the beach. The Kansas University part of the road worked out, but then soon after my first Olympic Festival tryouts at Nebraska, and after I earned all my points to qualify for the pro-beach tour, God had decided to take the reins of this nice little plan I had for my life, and took over with a much better one. And, one that I might add, took me some time to accept was the better plan. God got my attention through an injury.
How else to stop this determined girl other than putting me on the bench for a little bit because of an injury. Ouch! Oh how my pride came down! But what happened as a result of this was the most incredible experience of my life, and I am so grateful that God used this injury to bring me to Himself.
During this time of healing, I was having some heart to heart conversations with a God, who I knew of, and believed in, but did not feel close to. I had been raised going to the Catholic church, and although I heard of God, I did not know Him on a personal level. The best way to understand this is by asking you this question, “Do you know who Oprah Winfrey is?” Of course the world knows of who she is! Now let me ask you if you know Oprah Winfrey personally? Not many of us would be able to say we do. That is how it was with me, and Jesus. I knew of Jesus, but did not know Him personally as I do today. I was living at that time, a guilt-ridden life of trying to do the right thing, yet always falling short of finding peace and contentment in the innermost being of my soul.
Soon after this time of crying out to this God I did not yet know or truly believe existed- He answered me by sending me some Christians to talk to me about Jesus. These are some of the truths I heard and responded to:
- Jesus not only loves me, He likes me, and He is in love with me
- Jesus died on the cross for me, He rose from the dead, came back to life in order to…give me new life (no other so-called god gave their life for us, and none have come back to life either)
- Jesus took on all my sin on Himself, so that I do not have to earn my way to heaven, and to God (or to even feel worthy of walking through the church doors! Jesus said it is the sick who need a doctor, not the healthy referring to what we are like when we come to Him. The church should look more like a spiritual hospital of the sick, hurting, and dying being made well)
- Salvation is a gift, it is not something religious I have to do in order to receive it (Ephesians 2:8-9: For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is a gift of God; not as a result of works, that no one should boast.)
- There is a heaven and a hell, and when we die we will spend an eternity in one of these places! (um, I’ll choose heaven, thank you very much)
- “If you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you shall be saved.; for with your heart man believes, resulting in righteousness, and with the mouth he confesses, resulting in salvation.”-Romans 10:9-10
- What to do?! What to do?!…I believe Jesus died on the cross for my sins, and in faith I believe He rose from the dead with a hope of newness in life. Ok, I receive this free gift of salvation that He is giving me (and in order for a gift to be a gift, it has to be received. Someone can put a beautiful gift in front of you for as long as they like, but unless you take it, open it and receive it, it remains as is-unopened). I commit my life to You Jesus, I am confessing You as my Lord and will live the rest of my life for You.
What about you? Where do you find yourself today?
I am asking you to soberly consider the message of Jesus, and understand the choice you will make to either receive this amazing gift He is offering you today, or to walk away from it with the reality that someday you will give an account face to face with this living God-of that choice. I understand their will be those who will want to debate me, and will be angry at me for my boldness of this message, and I would just ask that you talk to God about how you are feeling. After all, He is the One who wants to talk with you the most. He loves you, and desires so much that you would know Him too.
Why not believe in the One who loves you, suffered to take on your sins so that you do not have to, and Who offers you not only supernatural peace and healing, but also a life of eternity in heaven? Living a life in eternity is going to be wonderful, but living on earth with Jesus in you is pretty darn amazing too!
If you would like to receive this amazing gift of salvation today, re-read the seven truths I heard and responded to back in college. There is nothing special about the prayer you pray to receive this gift; it is about your heart and your confession. Acknowledge you are a sinner before God, ask for forgiveness, tell Jesus you believe in Him, and commit your life to Him by speaking out that you are making Him the Lord now of your life.
And then, go get a cupcake, put a candle in it, and sing to yourself a Happy birthday song because today is your day of salvation, you are made alive in Christ Jesus, born again with newness of life : )
God loves you, and so do I!
P.S. Once you have received this gift, your eyes are going to be supernaturally opened to the words of the Bible (which is God’s way of feeding our souls), so make sure to get yourself a Bible, and read it as much as you can! If you need a bible let me know, and if you have any questions or would like to talk more privately about this blog, feel free to write me at firstname.lastname@example.org